Reading Hard Stuff

Bavinck is a hard read, not form sentence structure and vocabulary sense, but from a conceptual and philosophical sense. Bavinck’s Magnus Opus is written with the scholar in mind. Scholars will be familiar with Bavinck’s references to other theologians and philosophers, one used example being Freidrich Schleiermacher. Trained theologians will be familiar with Scheiermacher and his liberal learnings and being considered the father of liberal theology, etc.

I am not familiar with Schleiermacher, or Kant, Hegel, etc. I believe those who engage Bavinck at a “casual” level may not have the level of knowledge of concepts as trained philosophers and theologians. 

I believe it’s okay to read works in which we are not familiar with. This is the entire foundation of education. We continually read materials in which we don’t know the material within; therefore we learn it. 

I have talked to several people about Bavinck among other theologians and they have expressed nervousness getting into such a tome. They think it’s not entirely useful for life and doctrine. They may think Bavinck, considering his rigorous use of contemporary and past theologians, etc may lead to life impracticality.

I have found Bavinck surprisingly lucid.

My challenge to Christian readers is to read above literacy level. I am a college student reading college level material, but I want to challenge myself intellectually. Therefore as a Christian College student I want to read deep books, books from MacArthur, Sproul, Washer, Elizabeth Elliot, Jim and Catherine Neweiser Calvin, Brakel, Owens, Edwards, and Bavinck.

I want to challenge my own life, intellectual and devotional. Elizabeth Elliot challenges me on my missions mindset, Bavinck challenges me on Reformed Theology, and Brakel pushes his readers to worship God through the study of the glorious doctrines of Scripture, exposures through Scripture. 

Bavinck may seem not entirely useful to the new reader, but give it a chance. I am confident, if you are committed to learning theology and doctrine, you will find Bavinck an enjoyable read. 

Challenge yourself.


Comments